Red-Striped Killifish (Aphyosemion striatum)
From The Aquarium Wiki
37,854.118 mL 37.9 Litres (10 US G.)
1.575 in 5-4 cm (2-1.6")
5.5 - 7.0
529.47 °R 296.15 K
533.07 °R21 -23 °C (69.8-73.4°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Red-Striped Killifish, Five-Banded Killifish
Additional scientific names
- Epiplatys striatus, Haplochilus striatus, Panchax striatus
- Africa: lower Mitémele river drainage in southern Equatorial Guinea and the Mbei, Komo, Gabon, Abanga and lower Ogowe river drainages in northwestern Gabon.
- Males are brightly coloured - females are pale brown. There are a number of geographic varieties, but the sexual differences are the same.
- Can be housed wtih African Barbs or Lampeyes, but better off in a single-species tank.
- Live; flying insects- Drosophila, insect larvae, Brine Shrimp, other crustaceans, Tubifex worms; flakes.
- Once to twice per day.
- This fish likes to jump out of the water, so a cover is absolutely essential.The water should be soft, although striatum does well in a wide range of water.
- It is a peaceful fish which can be kept in an aquarium with other similar species without any problems. Difficulties of its own kind are also rare.
- An elongated fish with an up-turned mouth. The back is brownish orange. The flanks have a multitude of colours becoming darker towards the belly. The colouring starts out as orange becoming yellow, then green, then blue, and finally violet near the belly. The body is marked with five, red, lateral dotted line. The dorsal fin is green with two red stripes. The caudal fin is many colours like the body, and is marked with red spots and stripes. The lower edge of the caudal, anal, and pectoral fins are yellow. The anal and pectoral fins are blue in colour with red markings.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )