Australian Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia fluviatilis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
132,489.412 mL 132.5 Litres (35 US G.)
4.331 in 10-11 cm (3.9-4.3")
6.5 - 7.6
531.27 °R 298.15 K
536.67 °R22 -25 °C (71.6-77°F)
- Australian Rainbowfish, Crimson Spotted Rainbowfish, Western Rainbowfish, Murray River Rainbowfish
- Aristeus fluviatilis, Melanotaenia splendida fluviatilis
- Males tend to be more colourful than females.
- A generally peaceful fish that is happiest in shoals of around 6, more females than males. Do not keep with long-finned fish as they may be fin-nipped. Also, do not keep with smaller or delicate species of fish or invertebrates.
- Will accept most foods including pellets and flake, vegetables and live/frozen food like brine shrimp and bloodworm.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Needs a spacious and well filtered tank with plenty of lateral open swimming space. Keep in a mature tank with some dense vegetation.
- A very active fish that can fin nip.
- The body is grey with purple and orange horizontal stripe in females, males tend to be more colourful.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )