Spangled Jewel Perch (Leiopotherapon unicolor)
From The Aquarium Wiki
|This page requires additional images.|
Click here for details about uploading pictures to The Aquarium Wiki.
Spangled Jewel Perch
246,051.766 mL 246.1 Litres (65 US G.)
12.205 in 25-31 cm (9.8-12.2")
1 - 1.015
4.0 - 8.6
518.67 °R 303.15 K
545.67 °R15 -30 °C (59-86°F)
- Spangled Perch, Spangled Jewel Perch, Bobby Perch, Bobby Cod, Trout Perch, Spangled Grunter, Trout Cod
- Datnia brevipinnis, Madigania unicolor, Terapon idoneus, Therapon elphinstonensis, Therapon longulus, Therapon truttaceus, Therapon unicolor
- Not identifiable except during breeding season. The sexes can then be distinguished by the papilla in the females being large and obvious, but less so in the males.
- Aggressive, needs a large tank but not suitable for a community.
- Not a fussy eater, will eat insects, crustaceans, molluscs and plant matter.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- A very hardy fish, lives in streams and lakes across Australia, varying in salinity from freshwater through to seawater. Can be found washed into temporary pieces of water (wheel ruts etc.) after heavy rains.
- Shoals in large numbers in the wild after rains. In an aquarium environment it exhibits aggressive behaviour towards all fish and is also easily startled, so make sure your tank has a tight-fitting lid.
- An oval-shaped fish which has a pale cream iridescent base colour speckled with pale brown spots.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )