Costiasis or Costia is a freshwater ciliated protozoa parasite species called Ichthyobodo necatrix or Ichtyobodo pyriformis. Formally known as species Costia necatrix.
These are stalked or Flagella (hairs) protozoa which attach to the skin or gills of fish to feed and can swim and attach themselves to other fish and then reproduces to infect other fish.
Signs of infection include excess mucous production, respiratory distress, lethargy, clamped fins, general debilitation and resting on the substrate.
- This parasite can multiply quickly so treatment needs to be rapid.
- The Costiasis parasite may be becoming salt resistant and is not killed by drying out equipment. So use a decent disinfectant on nets, hands, etc. to prevent parasite transmission between tanks.
- You will need 200X minimum magnification to spot Costia. Preferably 400X if infection is low.
- Due to its inability to live in water above 28, treat as if it was Ich by using a commercial Ich treatment or technique.
- Other recommended treatments include Malachite Green, Potassium Permanganate, Acriflavine and strong salt baths of 3%.
- See also Treatment 8 by Waterlife
- Cuprazin - seawater fungicide / protozoacide (Seawater only)
- Octozin - flagellated protozoacide
- Protozin - protozoacide
- Sterazin - parasiticide
- General Cure™ Powder (contains sodium chloride >80%, metronidazole 1-10%, praziquantel 1-5%, silica amorphous 1-5%). See MSDS
- Super Ick Cure™ Liquid (contains Malachite Green <0.1%). See MSDS
- TetraMedica GeneralTonic Kills bacteria, fungus and parasites.
- TetraMedica Contraspot
- Tetra Pond MediFin kills bacteria, parasites, and fungi.
- Lifeguard™ All-in-One - Kills bacteria, fungus and parasites.
- Pond Fish Treatment kills protozoan parasites.
Jungle Labs (USA)
- Lifeguard - All-in-One - Kills bacteria, fungus and parasites (contains HaloShield (1-chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone))
- Parasite Guard - Clears External Parasites
- Pond Anchors Away - Removes Anchor Worms & Other Parasites
- Parasite Clear Tank Buddies - clears external and internal parasites (contains Praziquantel, Metronidazole and Acriflavine)
- Internal Parasite Guard - clear internal parasites
- Anti-Parasite Medicated Fish Food - For Internal Parasites (contains Praziquantel)
- Pond Ick Guard - Clears Ick
- Ick Clear Tank Buddies - Clears Ick
- Proform C - Malachite Formalin mix for parasite control in ornamental systems and ponds (contains Malachite green and formalin)