False Moorish Idol (Heniochus diphreutes)
From The Aquarium Wiki
False Moorish Idol
378,541.178 mL 378.5 Litres (100 US G.)
20.32 cm 17.8-20.3cm (7-8 ")
1.020 - 1.025
8.0 - 8.5
529.67 °R 297.039 K
534.67 °R21.1-23.9°C (70 -75 °F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- False Moorish Idol, Schooling Bannerfish, Hawaiian Pennantfish, Pennant Coralfish
Additional scientific names
- Heniochus diphreustes, Heniochus acuminatus
- Indo-Pacific: Red Sea and South Africa to warm-temperate Australia and the Hawaiian Islands.
- No known visual differences.
- A peaceful fish that does well in a non-aggressive tank mates and others of their own kind provided the tank is large enough. In small tanks they may become territorial.
- Will accept most foods, prefers a meaty diet of both fresh, frozen and prepared foods.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Prefers a spacious tank and is fairly hardy to water parameters. Prefers a medium to strong current.
- A generally peaceful fish, although can be territorial towards its own kind in small tanks. Is generally reef-safe but may eat sessile invertebrates, this is not common however.
- This fish mimics the colouration on the Moorish Idol, and looks very similar to it's cousin the Heniochus acuminatus. It differs by having a shorter snout and larger eyes. Also the rear black stripe on H. diphreutes splits the center of the anal fin with the white mid-body stripe, whereas the black stripe of H. acuminatus ends higher up on the anal fin.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )