Needlefish (Xenentodon cancila)
From The Aquarium Wiki
283,905.884 mL 283.9 Litres (75 US G.)
15.748 in 35-40 cm (13.8-15.7")
1 - 1.015
7.0 - 7.5
531.27 °R 301.15 K
542.07 °R22 -28 °C (71.6-82.4°F)
- Needlefish, Long-Nose Gar, Freshwater Garfish, Needle-Nose Gar
- It is possible, though highly unlikely and rare, to breed and raise Needle Nose Gars in captivity. Visually sexing these fish, however, is difficult.
- An aggressive hunter, must only be kept with other aggressive fish of similar size, preferably larger, but peaceful and robust, bottom dwellers only.
- Prefers live food, fish or crustaceans. Can be a fussy eater, and can bite hands that are feeding it!
- Once or twice a day.
- Needs a spacious, long tank with minimal décor, so as not to injure itself if frightened. Needs a secure, heavy, tight fitting lid as this fish can jump.
- It is an aggressive fish with sharp teeth. It will bite the hand that feeds it, and it will hurt! This fish can turn with great speed and is known for leaping from the water.
- It has a very elongated, slender, silvery body with a dark edged silver band running horizontally down its side. It has a very slender, long mouth lined with razor-sharp teeth.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )