Silvertip tetra (Hasemania nana)
From The Aquarium Wiki
6.0 - 8.0
- Silvertip Tetra, Kobbertetra, Kupfersalmler, Silver-tipped Tetra, Tipped Tetra, Copper Tetra
Additional scientific names
- Tetragonopterus nanus, Hemigrammus nanus, Hasemania marginata
- South America: São Francisco River basin in Minas Gerais, Brazil.
- Mature females are slightly fuller in the belly than males and they have a yellow tipped anal fin. Males have a white tipped anal fin and may be richer in body colour.
- A peaceful shoaling community fish, does well with other peaceful and non-aggressive or predatory fish. Keep in groups of 6 or more, preferably over 10. Can be a fin nipper if not kept in a shoal.
- Will accept most foods including pellets and flake as well as live/frozen food such as bloodworm, brine shrimp and daphnia. Will take food from surface and occasionally from the substrate.
- Feed one or twice a day. More if young.
- The Silvertip Tetra prefers acidic water (for breeding) and a densely planted tank with open swimming space.
- A peaceful shoaling species of Tetra.
- An attractive fish that looks good in a shoal. The body is pale yellow to gold in colour, a black horizontal band runs from the caudal peduncle to the middle of the fork of the caudal fin. Both lobes of the caudal fin, the tip of the dorsal and anal fins are tipped with white, giving the fish its common name.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )