Krib (Pelvicachromis pulcher)
From The Aquarium Wiki
75,708.236 mL 75.7 Litres (20 US G.)
10.16 cm 8.9-10.2cm (3.5-4 ")
7.0 - 8.0
536.67 °R 301.15 K
542.07 °R25 -28 °C (77-82.4°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Kribensis, Krib, Purple Cichlid, Rainbow Krib
| This section requires expansion with:
Location where this animal is found in the wild.
- Males have longer finnage with a pointed dorsal and anal fin. The females have a rounded dorsal and tail fin.
- This fish should be kept in male/female pairs. More than one pair can be kept to a tank provided it is large (20 US gallons per pair) and there are many hiding places. Despite being an African Cichlid, this fish is relatively peaceful and should not be kept in a Mbuna or Malawi set up with other African Cichlids. They do better with semi-aggressive fish such as some of the smaller Tetras. They should not be kept with long-finned fish and they will also eat livebearer fry.
- They are omnivorous and will accept most foods including pellet and flake as well as live/frozen foods such as daphnia and bloodworm. They will nibble at live plants.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- They prefer a spacious tank with plenty of hiding places.
- Generally peaceful bottom dwellers and scavengers.
- A fairly slender fish with slight lateral compression. The colouration of this fish can vary but they are generally brownish with either a blue or lilac sheen to it, becoming an off-white to ivory towards the belly area which also has the same sheen as the back area. The most distinctive trait is the large rose to purple coloured marking on the belly which extends almost to the back. On the back edge of the gill covers there is a brown spot edged with red on top and blue on the bottom. The anal fin is a pale lilac, the ventral fins have bright blue front edges with blue fin rays and the body of the fins are is violet in males and red in females. The males caudal fin has one to five "eye" spots that dark in colour and edged in yellow.
|Krib's fry 2 days old:||Krib's with fry (one month old) and Gold Gourami eating together:|
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )