Columbian Ramshorn Snail (Marisa cornuarietis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Columbian Ramshorn Snail
37,854.118 mL 37.9 Litres (10 US G.)
2.54 cm 1.3-2.5cm (0.5-1 ")
1 - 1.008
7.5 - 7.8
529.67 °R 298.706 K
537.67 °R21.1-25.6°C (70 -78 °F)
- Columbian Ramshorn Snail, Giant Ramshorn Snail, Giant Striped Apple Snail
- Although this looks like, and is often called, a Ramshorn Snail or the Planorbidae family, it is in fact a member of the Apple Snail family, or Ampullariidae family.
- A peaceful snail, will not bother tank inhabitants. However, should not be kept with snail-eating fish that may attack it such as Loaches or Pufferfish.
- An omnivore, this snail will scour it's environment for foods including dead and decaying matter and plant material. Can be supplemented with blanched vegetables or catfish wafers.
- Will constantly graze.
- A spacious tank with good filtration is needed. Cannot be kept in a planted tank as it will eat plants. Can tolerate Brackish water.
- Peaceful, will move slowly around the tank looking for food. Can go to the surface to get air as it has a syphon.
- A circular shell with 3-4 whorls, older snails have a planorboid shell. The shell is dark yellow to pale brown in base colour with 3-6 brown spiral bands. A cultivated yellow snail with no bands has been bred.