Columbian Ramshorn Snail (Marisa cornuarietis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Columbian Ramshorn Snail
38 Litres (10 US G.)
1.3-2.5cm (0.5-1 ")
1 - 1.008
7.5 - 7.8
298.706 K21.1-25.6°C (70 -78 °F)
- Columbian Ramshorn Snail, Giant Ramshorn Snail, Giant Striped Apple Snail
- Although this looks like, and is often called, a Ramshorn Snail or the Planorbidae family, it is in fact a member of the Apple Snail family, or Ampullariidae family.
- A peaceful snail, will not bother tank inhabitants. However, should not be kept with snail-eating fish that may attack it such as Loaches or Pufferfish.
- An omnivore, this snail will scour it's environment for foods including dead and decaying matter and plant material. Can be supplemented with blanched vegetables or catfish wafers.
- Will constantly graze.
- A spacious tank with good filtration is needed. Cannot be kept in a planted tank as it will eat plants. Can tolerate Brackish water.
- Peaceful, will move slowly around the tank looking for food. Can go to the surface to get air as it has a syphon.
- A circular shell with 3-4 whorls, older snails have a planorboid shell. The shell is dark yellow to pale brown in base colour with 3-6 brown spiral bands. A cultivated yellow snail with no bands has been bred.