Parrot Cichlid (Hoplarchus psittacus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
113,562.353 mL 113.6 Litres (30 US G.)
12.598 in 25-32 cm (9.8-12.6")
5.5 - 7.5
540.27 °R 303.15 K
545.67 °R27 -30 °C (80.6-86°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Parrot Cichlid
Additional scientific names
- Heros psittacus, Aequidens psittacus, Centrarchus cychla, Hoplarchus pentacanthus
- South America: Amazon River basin, in the Negro, Preto da Eva, Urubu and Jamari rivers in Brazil; also in tributaries of the upper Orinoco River basin.
- Males, when mature, Have a rounder, larger look when females are are usually smaller
| This section requires expansion with:
Other animals this species can be housed with, or animals they should not be housed with.
- Prefer Krill, and larger high protein pellets
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Well planted tank with sand as the substrate, and bogwood.
- A peaceful cichlid, that can be timid or bullied by more aggressive cichlids.
- As a juvenile, the H. psittacus does not display its adult coloration. The juveniles have a much more camouflaged look, dulled out with gray and dark teal. As they grow, they turn a much richer teal.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )