Flagtail Prochilodus (Semaprochilodus insignis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
|This page requires additional images.|
Click here for details about uploading pictures to The Aquarium Wiki.
946,352.945 mL 946.4 Litres (250 US G.)
10.63 in 20-27 cm (7.9-10.6")
5.5 - 7.5
533.07 °R 299.15 K
538.47 °R23 -26 °C (73.4-78.8°F)
- Flagtail Prochilodus, Flagtail Characin, Kissing Prochilodus
- Prochilodus insignis, Prochilodus amazonensis, Prochilodus theraponura
- Very difficult to visually sex.
- Does appreciate company of it's own kind if the tank is very large with plenty of lateral swimming space, but otherwise a single specimen should be kept as in tight confines they can be feisty towards one another. Can be kept with other similar-sized large robust fish, such as Arowana and Freshwater Stingrays.
- Needs a vegetarian diet of blanched vegetables, algae and algae-based pellet or flake food. Will also nibble plants.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Needs a large spacious tank with plenty of open swimming space, otherwise generally unfussy about decor. Will eat plants and any décor should be secure, prefers a sandy substrate.
- Generally peaceful but can be territorial if there's not enough space.
- A large high-back fish that can be mistaken for the similar Semaprochilodus taeniurus. You can tell the difference by the presence of dark spots on the sides that do not fade as the S.taeniurus matures. Young S. insignis also exhibit these spots but they disappear with age.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )