Tanganyikan Spiny Eel (Mastacembelus ellipsifer)
From The Aquarium Wiki
|This page requires additional images.|
Click here for details about uploading pictures to The Aquarium Wiki.
Tanganyikan Spiny Eel
283,905.884 mL 283.9 Litres (75 US G.)
17.717 in 40-45 cm (15.7-17.7")
8.0 - 9.5
532.67 °R 300.372 K
540.67 °R22.8-27.2°C (73 -81 °F)
- Tanganyikan Spiny Eel
- Aethiomastacembelus ellipsifer, Afromastacembelus ellipsifer
- It's not possible to visually sex this fish.
- Best kept in a Tanganyikan community and with peaceful robust fish too large to be eaten. It can be territorial towards other Spiny Eels, so one to a tank.
- Should accept most meaty foods including bloodworm, earthworms, shrimp and mussels.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Requires hard alkaline conditions with plenty of places to hide in rock work. A sand substrate is preferred and dim lighting. They do not cope well with currents.
- A predatory fish that is territorial towards its own kind. Will be peaceful towards fish too large to be eaten.
- Typical Spiny Eel in shape with a long snout, it is pale cream-brown in colour with broad red-orange bands down the body.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )