Zebra Tilapia (Tilapia buttikoferi)
From The Aquarium Wiki
473,176.473 mL 473.2 Litres (125 US G.)
15.748 in 25-40 cm (9.8-15.7")
6.8 - 7.0
534.87 °R 301.15 K
542.07 °R24 -28 °C (75.2-82.4°F)
- Zebra Tilapia, Tiger Tilapia, Hornet Tilapia, Buttikoferi
- Mature males have more pointed fins and will display a slight nuchal hump.
- Highly aggressive large fish. Best kept alone in a species tank, or with other large semi or aggressive fish in 378.5 Litres (100 US G.) or larger.
- Will accept most high quality foods including Cichlid pellets and flake as well as live/frozen foods like brine shrimp when small moving up to shrimp, earthworms and crickets as it grows. It would also benefit from vegetables in its diet including blanched lettuce and zucchini, it tends to lean towards a more vegetarian diet than meat. Feeder fish should be avoided.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Requires a very spacious and well filtered matured tank as this fish is messy. Any decor must be secure to stop it from being moved or knocked over.
- Can be highly aggressive and territorial at times.
- A large oval-shaped fish which is black in base colour, it has 7-9 vertical cream/yellow bands running down the body. The head is dusky yellow while the caudal fin is black.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )