Armoured Hoplo Catfish (Megalechis picta)
From The Aquarium Wiki
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Armoured Hoplo Catfish
132,489.412 mL 132.5 Litres (35 US G.)
12.7 cm 11.4-12.7cm (4.5-5 ")
5.0 - 7.0
523.67 °R 300.928 K
541.67 °R17.8-27.8°C (64 -82 °F)
- Armoured Catfish, Tail Bar Armoured Catfish, Tail Bar Hoplo, Armoured Hoplo Catfish
- Callichthys longifilis, Callichthys pictus, Callichthys sulcatus, Callichthys thoracatus, Hoplosternum orinocoi, Hoplosternum thoracatum
- A mature male has a thickened first pectoral ray which varies from orange/brown to scarlet in colour.
- A peaceful fish that does well in company of its own kind. Can be boisterous at feeding time so keep with robust tankmates only.
- Will accept a variety of foods including sinking catfish tablets and bloodworm.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Not fussy about tank set up, originates from small ponds that are low in oxygen and have little current, but this fish is flexible towards it's environment.
- Generally peaceful but can be boisterous.
- More Loach-like in appearance than catfish, this fish is mottled grey in colour and can be mistaken for the similar Megalechis thoracata. The difference being the presence of a conspicuous dark vertical band in the caudal fin in the M.picta.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )