Assassin Snail (Anentome helena)
From The Aquarium Wiki
19 Litres (5 US G.)
1.3-2.5cm (0.5-1 ")
7.2 - 8.0
22.8-26.7°C (73 -80 °F)
Alternative names[edit | edit source]
- Assassin Snail, Killer Snail, Bumble Bee Snail
Synonyms[edit | edit source]
- Clea helena, Anentome Cleo
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Difficult to sex. (When they mate, the male always sit on the back of the often larger female.)
- Not hermaphrodites, so need a male and female counterpart in order to reproduce. Growth rate is slow (when they are well fed they lay strings of eggs, one at the time. When malenurished they only lay one egg at the time,) and eggs are laid singly under water and are often eaten by other tank mates. So typically very slow breeders.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- This snail will be peaceful towards fish tank mates, as long as they are not predatory. However, this snail will eat any other snails it finds within its environment.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- This snail relishes other snails for dinner, and will willingly rid your tank of troublesome Ramshorn Snails, Pond Snails and even full size Malaysian Trumpet Snails, they will hunt them down and suck them out of their own shells. When these are not available, it can be supplemented with pellet foods, they will also sift through detritus.
- If you overfeed the tank and there is leftover food left lying around, these snails will prefer that food source to other snails.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Supplementary feedings needed only if no snails are present.
Environment Specifics[edit | edit source]
- This snail thrives in a well maintained mature tank with good water flow and a high GH level. It prefers a sandy substrate to sift through.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- An active predatory snail which hunts other snails.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- This snail has a chunky conical shell that is ridged and dark brown in colour with several pale cream-yellow bands around it.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Assassin snail eating MTS
Videos[edit | edit source]