Banded Headstander (Laemolyta taeniata)
From The Aquarium Wiki
208 Litres (55 US G.)
22.9-25.4cm (9-10 ")
6.0 - 7.2
23.3-27.8°C (74 -82 °F)
- Banded Headstander, Striped Headstander
Additional scientific names
- Anostomus taeniata, Anostomus taeniatus, Schizodon taeniatus
- It is difficult to visually sex this fish. Mature females may appear more plump than males.
- A large fish that does well in groups of at least 6 of its own kind. It can be kept with similar-sized robust yet relatively peaceful fish such as larger Pleco species and Cichlids such as Uaru or Festivums.
- An omnivorous fish that will accept both meaty foods like bloodworm as well as vegetable based foods, prefers a more vegetarian diet.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Requires a large and well filtered tank. Prefers a sandy substrate with driftwood décor and some rocks, to imitate their natural biotope which would be predominantly flooded South American forests. They will eat soft-leaved plants. They also require a secure lid as they are good jumpers.
- A generally peaceful and loosely-shoaling fish.
- A large growing torpedo-shaped fish with colouration similar to that of the Siamese Algae Eater, although Striped Headstanders have a forward pointing mouth, unlike the underslung mouth of an algae-grazing SAE.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )