African Bullhead (Lophiobagrus cyclurus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from African Bullhead)
95 Litres (25 US G.)
7-8 cm (2.8-3.1")
7.5 - 8.0
23 -26 °C (73.4-78.8°F)
- Tanganyikan Catfish, African Bullhead
Additional scientific names
- Chrysichthys cyclurus, Lophiobagrus lestradei
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Endemic to Lake Tanganyika.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Difficult to visually sex.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Does best in a Tanganyikan set up without fish that may bully it. It may eat smaller fish and will eat any invertebrates.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Prefers a predominantly meaty diet with sinking catfish wafers, bloodworm, daphnia and ghost shrimp. May occasionally accept vege based foods.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day, best fed with the tank lights off.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Requires a spacious well filtered tank with hiding places among rocks. Prefers alkaline conditions.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A nocturnal catfish, will spend the majority of the day time hidden.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A fairly chunky looking catfish with a cylindrical body, large mouth and fairly thick barbels. It's body is olive-red brown in colour with a pale belly. A white morph (not albino) has been seen.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )