Persephone Betta (Betta persephone)
38 Litres (10 US G.)
2.5-7.6cm (1-3 ")
3 - 6
23 -28 °C (73.4-82.4°F)
This animal is available captive bred
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Persephone Betta, Dwarf Betta, Black Small Fighter
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Endemic to Johor, Malaysia.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males have more vibrant colouration and have a pointed dorsal fin.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A Betta that can be housed in male/female pairs. A pair can be housed in 19 Litres (5 US G.), in groups they need at least 76 Litres (20 US G.). Like many wild bettas, they are timid fish, and tank mates should thus be chosen with care.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept live and frozen foods, such as bloodworms. Pellets may or may not be accepted, but do not expect them to take flake.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- This Betta comes from blackwater environments and should have soft, acidic water. They will not tolerate hard, alkaline water and will lose most of their color and vitality in such conditions.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A generally peaceful Betta, but they will argue with their own kind. They are bubblenesters and follow the normal bubblenesting 'script'.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Can be confused with Betta miniopinna, the only other blackwater betta with similar coloration. The most reliable way to distinguish the two is that B.miniopinna is from Selangor, Malaysia, while B.persephone is from Johore, Malaysia.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )