Sturgeon Catfish (Platystomatichthys sturio)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Fox Catfish)
511 Litres (135 US G.)
35.6-38.1cm (14-15 ")
6.0 - 7.5
21 -25 °C (69.8-77°F)
- Sturgeon Catfish, Fox Catfish
Additional scientific names
- Platystoma sturio
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Best in a species tank or with other medium to large fish that do not occupy the same area as the catfish, but really best kept alone.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Feed with fine meaty catfish pellets and meaty foods such as bloodworm, small earthworms, daphnia and tubifex.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Needs an exceptionally large tank with immaculate water conditions. Must be kept in a mature tank with low nitrate levels. Needs a tank wide enough for it to stretch out its long barbels. Does best with a fine soft substrate.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Skittish catfish that can easily damage itself if frightened.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- An slender silver large catfish with an elongated blunt snout with long barbels. Resembles the Sorubim lima. An albino variant has been sighted.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )