Targetfish (Terapon jarbua)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Jarbua)
946 Litres (250 US G.)
30-36 cm (11.8-14.2")
7.8 - 8.2
24 -28 °C (75.2-82.4°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Targetfish, Thornfish, Crescent Grunter, Crescent Perch, Crescent-Banded Grunter, Crescent-Banded Tigerfish, Jarbua, Jarbua Terapon, Spiky Trumpeter, Squeaking Perch, Threestripe Tigerfish, Tiger Perch
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Should only be mixed with large brackish fish, such as Monodactylus and Toxotes. Caution should be taken even with large fish because they are scale nippers and do extensive, but not deadly damage to broad bodied non-aggressive fish like Scats.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- In the wild, feeds on fish, invertebrates, and detritus, but will accept pellets in captivity.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Once or twice a day on dry foods and frozen foods, every other day on meaty foods.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Keep in brackish water, SG around 1.002 to 1.007; and hard, alkaline water. Temperature around 24-28°C (75.2-82.4°F) . The SG can go to full seawater strength up to 1.025.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- May be predatory towards smaller tank mates, as well as occasional nipping of other fish. Will eat fish 1/4 to 1/3 their size!
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Mostly silver, with almost curved bands running horizontally across the sides; looking like an archery target from above. Tail banded with black. Large, sharp dorsal fins. Not to be confused with Terapon theraps, which has completely straight lines across the flanks.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )