Para Pleco (Peckoltia sabaji)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Para Pleco)
208 Litres (55 US G.)
22.9-25.4cm (9-10 ")
6.0 - 7.6
23.9-25.6°C (75 -78 °F)
- L075, L124, L301, LDA002, Para Pleco
Additional scientific names
- Ancistomus sabaji, Hemiancistrus sabaji
Origin[edit | edit source]
- South America: Rupununi, Essequibo, and Takutu river drainages of Guyana, and from Río Casiquiare - Río Negro and the Río Cinaruco - Río Orinoco drainages of Venezuela.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- A very difficult Pleco to sex, if not impossible! The normal odontodal growth in this fish is almost nonexistant, so standard ancistrine procedure cannot be applied to this species.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A very peaceful Pleco even when full grown and can cohabit with conspecifics and its own species. Keep with similar sized or smaller and equally peaceful tank mates such as shoaling Neon Tetras or Cardinal Tetras. Does seem to like the company of smaller shoaling fish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- A real omnivore, loves a bit of bloodworm and other meaty treats as well as veggies and sinking wafers. Must have meaty food in their diet to thrive however.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Provide plenty of hiding places in rocks and bogwood for this fish to feel secure. This Pleco is unlikely to be found clinging to the glass and is more likely to be found settled in a rock cave or under some bogwood.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful and somewhat shy fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Typical Pleco in shape with an underslung suckermouth and forked caudal fin. The body is pale yellow to stronger yellow in colour on the fins with bold dark brown/black spots covering the body, head and fins. The spots are larger on the body and smaller on the head.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )