Harlequin Crab (Cardisoma armatum)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Patriot Crab)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
38 Litres (10 US G.)
7.6-10.2cm (3-4 ")
7.2 - 8.0
23.9-29.4°C (75 -85 °F)
Alternative names[edit | edit source]
- Harlequin Crab, Rainbow Crab, Patriot Crab, African Moon Crab, Soap Dish Crab, Moon Crab, Columbian Crab
Synonyms[edit | edit source]
- Cardiosoma armatum
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males have a narrow tail flap, while females are wide.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- This is a territorial Crab which is best in species tank, one to a tank, although a male/female pair may work provided the tank is large enough. It will attempt to eat fish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- They are true scavengers and opportunistic predators. They will eat whatever they can find (dead or alive) but will never miss an opportunity to eat a smaller crab, freshly moulted crab or crayfish and generally anything that can be caught and held onto long enough to eat.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
Environment Specifics[edit | edit source]
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- The general behavioural patterns of this crab are similar to most others in the aquarium environment but due to sheer size they are prone to eat smaller crabs, crayfish, smaller fish and generally anything they can find. They do well to have at least one perch above water per crab (or a larger shared one) where they will carry food off to eat often. These crabs should be treated as an aggressive pet.
Identification[edit | edit source]