Red Streak Cichlid (Apistogramma hongsloi)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Rotstrich Cichlid)
Red Streak Cichlid
76 Litres (20 US G.)
5.1-7.9cm (2-3.1 ")
6.0 - 7.0
24 -27 °C (75.2-80.6°F)
- Red Streak Cichlid, Rotstrich Cichlid, Blackseam Cichlid
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Drainage of the Rio Orinoco, where they live in the shallows near the banks.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males have more vibrant colouration than females.
Breeding[edit | edit source]
- Requires soft water to breed. Like most Apistos, they are harem breeders; one male spreads his time between multiple females. This fish is a cave breeder; the female may lay from 50-100 eggs on the roof of a cave, which the male then fertilizes. Female will guard eggs and subsequent fry, while male will defend entire territory. Since a males territory may encompass more then one brooding female, the dominant female maybe take control or the raising of all fry in the territory.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Considered to be peaceful and a good community fish. Males are territorial, and if more then one male is kept in the same tank, much space and cover must be provided to allow for the creation of each males territory.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Good quality flake food, but the addition of frozen, freeze dried and/or live food should be provided. Mosquito larva, tubifex worms, blood worms, water fleas, brine shrimp and Cyclops are all excellent additions to there diet.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day, no more then can be consumed in a few minutes.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Provide with hiding places/caves made from driftwood and unglazed ceramic pots. In order to give them the best quality of life, and enjoy the fullest display of natural behaviours a well-planted tank should be provided
- Sensitive to water quality issues, regular water changes are a must. Like all Apistos, they are sensitive to toxins, medications and low oxygen levels.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful yet territorial cichlid when breeding.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- An attractive small Apistogramma. The males have the characteristic elongated fins and spiked dorsal rays. The fins are red-brown in colour whereas the body is brown/green/blue with a bold lateral black line from the nose to the base of the caudal fin. The bottom half of the body towards the end of the fish may also be red in colour with some iridescence. There are several colour variations, including fish with stronger yellow colouration.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
|Hongsloi with fry:|
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )