Blackfin Pearlfish (Austrolebias nigripinnis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
45 Litres (12 US G.)
6-7 cm (2.4-2.8")
3 - 7
15.6-20°C (60 -68 °F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Blackfin Pearlfish, Blackfin Pearl Killifish, Dwarf Argentine Pearlfish
Additional scientific names
- Cynolebias nigripinnis, Cynolebias nigripinnis nigripinnis
Origin[edit | edit source]
- A South American fish which is found in the Lower Paraná and Uruguay River basins.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males are brightly coloured, while the smaller females tend to be brownish-grey.
Breeding[edit | edit source]
- Set up a species tank, with a 2" layer of peat, and several hiding places for the female. The spawning embrace takes place, and the eggs are deposited in the peat. Remove the peat and eggs, squeeze most of the water out of the peat, put in a plastic bag and wait 2-4 months before placing the eggs back in fresh, soft water. If hatching doesn't occur put the eggs back and try again later.
Diet[edit | edit source]
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefers slightly acidic, soft water at 15.6-20°C (60-68°F) . Skittish and hard to care for, it nevertheless has a matchless beauty when in top physical condition.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )