Longspine Urchin (Diadema setosum)
From The Aquarium Wiki
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
208 Litres (55 US G.)
20.3-25.4cm (8-10 ")
8.1 - 8.4
22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
- Longspine Urchin, Black Longspine Urchin
- Due to this Urchin's excellent defences, it is an excellent algae-controller in a tank with semi-aggressive or aggressive fish.
- This is a herbivorous Urchin and will graze on algae and phytoplankton. It can be supplemented with dry seaweed.
- How often to feed, etc.
- It is sensitive to high levels of copper-based medications and it will not tolerate high nitrate levels. It requires ample hiding places which must be secure as this Urchin can dislodge loose live rock.
- A primarily nocturnal creature with excellent defences against predators. When approached by a fish, these urchins will sense their presence, and will defend itself by directing its spines towards its offender.
- How to id the animal.