Mekong Red Fin Zebra Eel (Macrognathus meklongensis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Mekong Red Fin Zebra Eel
132 Litres (35 US G.)
11-17.8 cm (4.3-7")
6.5 - 7.8
23 -28 °C (73.4-82.4°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Difficult to visually sex, mature females may appear plumper than males.
- Will not harm other fish, although as it gets to a larger size it may view smaller shrimps and fish fry as foods. Tolerant of its own species as well as other Spiny Eel species.
- Accepts meaty foods like bloodworms and small shrimp. They can eat flake food as well but will eventually die from a strict diet of just flake food, the flake food should also be fed with bloodworms or small dried shrimp. When larger they can also eat common garden earth worms.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- As these fish like to burrow, use a soft, sandy substrate in their tank. Incorporate pieces of wood and rock work in order to create more hiding places - but ensure that the rocks are well placed so that they are not undermined by this species' burrowing habits. Plants may get uprooted during their forays.
- They are usually bottom dwellers during night but can also come to the surface or mid level for food during the day if hungry.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )