Armoured Hoplo Catfish (Megalechis picta)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Armoured Hoplo Catfish
132 Litres (35 US G.)
11.4-12.7cm (4.5-5 ")
5.0 - 7.0
17.8-27.8°C (64 -82 °F)
- Armoured Catfish, Tail Bar Armoured Catfish, Tail Bar Hoplo, Armoured Hoplo Catfish
Additional scientific names
- Callichthys longifilis, Callichthys pictus, Callichthys sulcatus, Callichthys thoracatus, Hoplosternum orinocoi, Hoplosternum thoracatum
| This section requires expansion with:
Location where this animal is found in the wild.
- A mature male has a thickened first pectoral ray which varies from orange/brown to scarlet in colour.
- A peaceful fish that does well in company of its own kind. Can be boisterous at feeding time so keep with robust tank mates only.
- Will accept a variety of foods including sinking catfish tablets and bloodworm.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Not fussy about tank set up, originates from small ponds that are low in oxygen and have little current, but this fish is flexible towards it's environment.
- Generally peaceful but can be boisterous.
- More Loach-like in appearance than catfish, this fish is mottled grey in colour and can be mistaken for the similar Megalechis thoracata. The difference being the presence of a conspicuous dark vertical band in the caudal fin in the M.picta.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )