Port Hoplo (Megalechis thoracata)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Port Hoplo)
132 Litres (35 US G.)
11-13 cm (4.3-5.1")
6.5 - 7.5
23 -25 °C (73.4-77°F)
- Port Hoplo, Armoured Catfish, Hoplo
Additional scientific names
- Callichthys exaratus, Callichthys personatus, Hoplosternum personatus, Hoplosternum thoracatum surinamensis, Megalechis personata
Origin[edit | edit source]
- South America: Amazon, Orinoco and upper Paraguay River basins, as well as coastal rivers of the Guianas and northern Brazil.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- A mature male has a thickened first pectoral ray which varies from orange/brown to scarlet in colour.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful fish that does well in company of its own kind. Can be boisterous at feeding time so keep with robust tankmates only.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept a variety of foods including sinking catfish tablets and bloodworm.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Not fussy about tank set up, originates from small ponds that are low in oxygen and have little current, but this fish is flexible towards it's environment.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Generally peaceful but can be boisterous.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- More Loach-like in appearance than catfish, this fish is mottled grey in colour and can be mistaken for the similar Megalechis picta. The difference being the absence of a conspicuous dark vertical band in the caudal fin in the M.thoracata.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )