Red Fin Otocinclus (Parotocinclus maculicauda)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Red Fin Otocinclus
57 Litres (15 US G.)
5.1-7.6cm (2-3 ")
6.5 - 7.5
20 -25 °C (68-77°F)
- Red Fin Otocinclus, Red Fin Dwarf Pleco
Additional scientific names
- Otocinclus maculicauda, Parotocinclus steindachneri
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Mature males have visible genital papilla.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful community fish that appreciates company of its own kind. Do not keep with predatory, territorial or aggressive fish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- An omnivore, will take algae wafers, flake, blanched vegetables as well as brine shrimp and bloodworm. Not really an "algae eater", will only eat algae if there's no other food available.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefers a heavily planted tank, although it will do some minor damage to plants. Can live in a bogwood/stone set up also. Prefers cooler water and can be sensitive to water conditions.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Peaceful and docile, will spend its time looking for food.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A slender and small catfish with mottled golden brown colouration, a red spot is visible on the caudal peduncle which gives the fish its common name.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )