Ablabe's Barb (Barbus ablabes)
From The Aquarium Wiki
76 Litres (20 US G.)
5.1-7.6cm (2-3 ")
6.5 - 7.5
22.2-23.9°C (72 -75 °F)
- Ablabe's Barb
Additional scientific names
- Barbus ablabes spurelli, Barbus spurelli, Barbus spurrelli, Enteromius ablabes, Enteromius potamogalis, Puntius ablabes
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Africa: wide distribution area, known from the Sahelian as well as from coastal basins. Also collected from the upper Koto River drainage (Ubangi tributary, middle Congo River basin) in Central African Republic.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Difficult to visually sex, mature females may be slightly plumper in the belly than males.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- An active shoaling fish. Keep in groups of 5-6 or more. Do not keeping long-finned, slow moving or shy fish. Robust similar-sized fish should work well.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- An omnivore, should accept pellets and flake, both vegetable and carnivore based, as well as small live/frozen food like brine shrimp and bloodworm.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- The tank for this fish should provide plenty of lateral open swimming space combined with hiding places in tall plants and bogwood. Tank must be mature and well filtered.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful active mid-swimming shoaling fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- Long slender silver body with a bold black horizontal lateral line running from the nose to the base of the tail.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )