Madagascar Rainbowfish (Bedotia geayi)
From The Aquarium Wiki
132 Litres (35 US G.)
8-9 cm (3.1-3.5")
7.0 - 8.0
20 -24 °C (68-75.2°F)
- Madagascar Rainbowfish, Madagascan Rainbowfish, Red-Tailed Silverside, Zona
Additional scientific names
- Bedotia longianalis, Bedotia tricolor, Bedotia madagascarensis
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males are far more colourful than females and have a pointed dorsal fin as opposed to the more rounded dorsal of the female.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful shoaling fish that should be kept in groups of 5 or more. Keep with other peaceful community fish of similar size. Avoid anything larger or predatory.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept most pellet and flake food, prefers floating food to sinking food. Will also accept live/frozen foods such as brine shrimp. They may nibble soft plants.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefers a spacious tank with lots of open swimming room, does not need dense planting, but some sparse tall plants would be appreciated. They are susceptible to water quality issues.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful active shoaling fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- An elongate slender fish, the body is pale with blue or yellow iridescence. There is darker, but not defined, wide lateral line. The dorsal fin is set well back on the body above the anal fin, and the dorsal, anal and caudal fins are edged in black and yellow in colour.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )