Purple Firefish Goby (Nemateleotris decora)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Decorated Dartfish)
Purple Firefish Goby
114 Litres (30 US G.)
6.4-7.6cm (2.5-3 ")
8.1 - 8.4
22.2-25.6°C (72 -78 °F)
- Purple Firefish Goby, Purple Dartfish, Elegant Firefish, Decorated Dartfish
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- It is very difficult, if not impossible, to differentiate between the sexes of this Firefish.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- It is best to keep these fish one to a tank as they can be aggressive towards one another. They can be quite timid so should not be kept with aggressive fish, nor with Anglers, Frogfish or Boxfish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- These fish prefer meaty foods such as mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, chopped crustaceans, pellet and flake.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- This fish needs an SG of 1.020-1.025 and water quality should be kept stable. They do best at a temperature of around 24.4°C (76°F) . Plenty of hiding places are essential for this fish to hide in.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A timid fish that will dart into a hiding place if startled or scared. It is not a fast swimmer and will spend most of its time hovering around caves. It has a long dorsal fin it will flick up and down, possibly to steady itself in the water column or display to others of its own kind, of which it will be territorial towards.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A distinctive elongated fish not to be mistaken for Nemateleotris magnifica. It has a long body with rounded snout, it has long dorsal and anal fins that extend from half way down the body to the rounded caudal fin. It also has an extended ray at the beginning of the dorsal which is usually kept flat to the body, only flicked up every now and again. It has a pale body which darkens to a blue-purple towards the caudal fin. The fins are dark blue-purple with iridescent purple edging. A purple band extends from the dorsal, over the top of the head and down to the chin.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )