Black Phantom Tetra (Hyphessobrycon megalopterus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
Black Phantom Tetra
57 Litres (15 US G.)
2.5-5.1cm (1-2 ")
6.0 - 7.0
22.2-27.8°C (72 -82 °F)
- Black Phantom Tetra, Shadow Phantom Tetra
Additional scientific names
- Megalamphodus megalopterus
Origin[edit | edit source]
- The Black Phantom Tetra comes from several river basins in Bolivia and Brazil. These rivers include the Río Beni and the Río Mamore in Bolivia, and the Río Mamore and the Río Guaporé in Brazil. It has also been reported from the Brazilian part of the Río Paraguay.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males are more slender than the females and have larger dorsal fins. Females have red colour on their pectoral and anal fins.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Will go well in a peaceful community tank, but Black Phantoms like to be in groups. Males can be territorial and spar amongst themselves, so keep few males and many females to a tank.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Black Phantoms will take most foods including pellets, flake and live/frozen food such as bloodworm and daphnia.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Generally not too fussy about their environment. Like open swimming space and live plants to hide among. Comes from soft, slightly acidic water, but adults can take neutral to slightly alkaline water without trouble.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Generally a peaceful shoaling fish, however, males can be territorial. These territories are small but the two fish will display and spar. These are usually only minor and the fish will be at their best colours during the display.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- The Black Phantom has a very similar body shape to the Black Widow Tetra. The base colour of the body is iridescent silver with a elongate black mark on either side of the flanks just behind the gills. The fins are edged with black, occasionally with red hues. A long-fin variety has been bred, even though their fins are fairly long naturally.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
|Black Phantom Tetra in community tank:|
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )