Haitian Cichlid (Nandopsis haitiensis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
284 Litres (75 US G.)
25.4-40.6cm (10-16 ")
6.5 - 7.8
24 -27 °C (75.2-80.6°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Haitian Cichlid, Black Nasty Cichlid, Odo Cichlid
Additional scientific names
- Cichlasoma haitiensis, Nandopsis haitiensis, Cichlasoma vombergae, Cichlasoma vombergi
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Found in Central America, endemic to Hispaniola (Haiti and Dominican Republic).
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- As the fish reaches maturity, males will have a white background body colour with black peppered spotting. Females will have a white face with a mostly black body colouration.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- An exceptionally territorial large Cichlid, best kept in large species tanks alone or in male/female bonded pairs.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Varied diet, some vegetable matter preferred. Spirulina flakes as staple diet when young; Spirulina pellets when fish reach suitable size, supplemented with earthworms.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed anything from once to three times a day in small portions.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Requires a very spacious tank with secure décor and excellent filtration.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- An extremely territorial Cichlid.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- See sexing. An oval shaped Cichlid with a sloping forehead and large eyes.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )