Paper Shell Crayfish (Orconectes immunis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Paper Shell Crayfish
38 Litres (10 US G.)
6.4-10.2cm (2.5-4 ")
6.5 - 8.0
20-29.4°C (68 -85 °F)
This animal is available captive bred
Alternative names[edit | edit source]
- Paper Shell Crayfish, Soft Shell Crayfish, Calico Crayfish
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Maine and Connecticut in the east to Colorado and Wyoming in the west, and from Alabama in the south to Canada in the north. In Canada, it has been recorded from Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec although the populations in Quebec may be the result of introductions by anglers from New York; the Canadian populations are centerd in southern Ontario. It is believed to have been introduced to a number of states in New England, including Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Females have wider pleopods to hold eggs
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Omnivorous; will scavenge, and eats worms, and insects inhabiting the substrate
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
Environment Specifics[edit | edit source]
- Planted tank
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Mixes well
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A close relation of Orconectes limosus.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This crayfish is the preferred food of Trout, Sunfish, and other gamefishes. This is good also in a pond.