Piraya Piranha (Serrasalmus piraya)
From The Aquarium Wiki
757 Litres (200 US G.)
30-34 cm (11.8-13.4")
5.5 - 7.5
25 -30 °C (77-86°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Piraya Piranha, San Francisco Piranha, Rio São Francisco Piranha, Black-tailed Piranha
Additional scientific names
- Pygocentrus piraya
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A very large piscavorous fish, can be kept in groups of its own kind but only in very large aquaria over 1893 Litres (500 US G.) ideally, this is to avoid fin nipping or even cannibalism. Best kept alone in species tanks otherwise, other fish may be eaten or at least bitten.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- A piscavorous fish that should be fed, if not weaned, on to dead food. Feeder Fish are not necessary and can pass on parasites and other disorders to the Piranha. Can be fed chunks of dead fish such as Trout as well as shrimp also.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Requires a very large very well filtered tank. Should not have very bright lighting and large sturdy hiding places should be provided. Fairly adaptable to water chemistry.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A large growing piscavorous Piranha with sharp teeth. Can inflict serious wounds if not handled correctly.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )