Blue Dolphin Cichlid (Cyrtocara moorii)
Blue Dolphin Cichlid
208 Litres (55 US G.)
25.4-35.6cm (10-14 ")
7.2 - 8.5
24 -28 °C (75.2-82.4°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Blue Dolphin Cichlid, Blue Lumphead, Hump-Head
Additional scientific names
- Haplochromis moorii
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Mature males have a nuchal hump, giving them their 'Humphead' common name. Both males and females have nuchal hump so sexing is difficult. Keep at a young age with one male to three females and they will eventually pair off. With good luck you will have females holding!
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- Should be kept in a large Malawi Cichlid species tank preferably, and must not be kept with overly aggressive Cichlids. The Blue Dolphin is usually fairly peaceful except when it's spawning. The Blue Dolphin cichlid is peaceful, if compared to Malawi Cichlids. Do not let this confuse you, since they are still aggressive to smaller, more peaceful fish. As the Cyrtocara moorii will readily eat anything small enough to get into its mouth, this must be kept in mind when searching for tank mates. Small torpedo shaped tank mates are easy prey. A good fit for Frontosa mates as well as Yellow Labs.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Not a fussy eater, will take most foods including Cichlid pellets, krill and brine shrimp. Blue Dolphin will happily accept live food including any smaller fish they can get into their mouth.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Prefers rock décor with large amounts of open swimming space. Sand is preferred as they like to burrow. Keep rocks to the back and as smooth as possible as these fish are clumsy when frightened. This fish can grow to 10+" and should be kept in a suitably large enough size tank with an eye for overcrowding. This is open water based Malawi and as such a minimum tank size of 6' (125 Gallon+) is recommended.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Relatively peaceful, may come to blows with other overly dominant Cichlids housed with it, and will defend itself when spawning.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- This Cichlid is slender and coloured a vivid baby blue. Adult Males can darken significantly during mating periods or when establishing dominance. Males display a nuchal hump when mature.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )