Australian Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia fluviatilis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
132 Litres (35 US G.)
10-11 cm (3.9-4.3")
6.5 - 7.6
22 -25 °C (71.6-77°F)
- Australian Rainbowfish, Crimson Spotted Rainbowfish, Western Rainbowfish, Murray River Rainbowfish
Additional scientific names
- Aristeus fluviatilis, Melanotaenia splendida fluviatilis
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males tend to be more colourful than females. Mature males get black edging to most fins.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A generally peaceful fish that is happiest in shoals of around 6, more females than males. Do not keep with long-finned fish as they may be fin-nipped. Also, do not keep with smaller or delicate species of fish or invertebrates.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Will accept most foods including pellets and flake, vegetables and live/frozen food like brine shrimp and bloodworm.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Needs a spacious and well filtered tank with plenty of lateral open swimming space. Keep in a mature tank with some dense vegetation.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A very active fish that can fin nip.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- The body is grey with purple and orange horizontal stripe in females, males tend to be more colourful.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )