Candy Striped Pleco (Peckoltia vittata)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Candy Striped Pleco)
Candy Striped Pleco
57 Litres (15 US G.)
7.6-10.2cm (3-4 ")
5.6 - 7.0
22 -26 °C (71.6-78.8°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Candy Striped Pleco, Common Peckoltia, L015
Additional scientific names
- Chaetostomus vittatus
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- The Candy Striped Pleco is somewhat territorial towards other bottom dwellers and as such care should be taken when selecting a tank mate. However, this Pleco is routinely easy-going and will happily co-exist with a wide array of mid-tank and surface swimmers.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- The Candy Striped Pleco needs approximately a 30.5cm (12") by 30.5cm (12") square section of bottom space in a given aquarium as a territory; otherwise the fish may become aggressive towards other bottom dwellers. This Pleco is nocturnal and also extremely timid. Therefore, it will opt to hide during the daytime and become active during night. A suitable environment should include plenty of driftwood surface for chewing and feeding, a substrate consisting of medium to large sized rocks, low levels of lighting and plenty of hiding spaces, and should also include plenty of aeration and circulation. These features simulate the South American environment to which the fish is native.
- This species will not eat vegetation aggressively so live plants are okay to have in the environment as well, although it is not technically necessary.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- The Candy Striped Pleco is a bottom feeder and will be rarely seen near the surface. Though usually designated as an algae eater, the Candy Striped Pleco is commonly seen feeding off of driftwood or rocks rather than the aquarium side.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- The Candy Striped Pleco is a species of dwarf Pleco and attains a maximum size of 12.7cm (5") in length. Visually, the Candy Striped Pleco has cream-coloured stripes around the tail and body that become an irregular pattern on the fish's head. The fish has a base colour ranging from sandy beige to dark brown, depending upon mood or location. Though generally a healthy and happy Pleco will be dark brown in colour.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )