Celebes Medaka (Oryzias celebensis)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Celebes Medaka)
57 Litres (15 US G.)
4-5 cm (1.6-2")
8.0 - 9.0
22 -30 °C (71.6-86°F)
- Celebes Medaka
Additional scientific names
- Haplochilus celebensis, Aplocheilus celebensis
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Asia: Indonesia (Celebes).
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Males are smaller than females with pointed dorsal and anal fins.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A peaceful active little fish that does well kept in groups in a community set ups with similar sized peaceful fish that don't mind the same kind of alkaline water chemistry.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Should accept most foods including pellet and flake, also live/frozen food like daphnia and brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Does best in a heavily planted set up with dark substrate and places to hide, they do not appreciate bright lighting so will be appreciative of floating plants. They do require alkaline conditions, up to a pH of 9!
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- An active peaceful fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A small slender fish with it's dorsal fin set far back along the spine by the caudal fin. The body is cream-silver with iridescence, the caudal fin has some red-orange edging, this will be more vibrant in males.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )