Pixie Hawkfish (Cirrhitichthys oxycephalus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Pixie Hawkfish)
114 Litres (30 US G.)
7.6-8.1cm (3-3.2 ")
8.2 - 8.4
22 -28 °C (71.6-82.4°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Pixie Hawkfish, Coral Hawkfish, Pixy Hawkfish, Spotted Hawkfish
Additional scientific names
- Cirrhites oxycephalus, Cirrhites grandimaculatus, Cirrhites murrayi
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- This fish is reef safe but will eat smaller invertebrates and also smaller fish, and it can take surprisingly large prey. Keep with robust yet peaceful larger fish.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- This is a fairly hardy fish which isn't fussy about water movement and tolerates a wide range of lighting regimes. Provide it with plenty of live rock and caves in which to perch and hide.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- This fish can be confused with Cirrhitichthys aprinus, also known as the Spotted Hawkfish, while both species vary regionally in colouration, C. oxycephalus doesn't have as deep a body and tends to exhibit a pattern of spots more distinctly than C. aprinus, which is more "blotched" in appearance.
- C. oxycephalus varies in colour regionally from pale with grey to black blotches to pink with bright red blotches. It's base colour is pale with horizontal rows of dark brown spots and a row of smaller spots on lateral line between larger spots, there are also some small dark brown spots on the head.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )