Red Claw Crab (Perisesarma bidens)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Red Claw Crab)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Red Claw Crab
76 Litres (20 US G.)
5.1-10.2cm (2-4 ")
7.5 - 8.5
20 -28 °C (68-82.4°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Red Claw Crab, Red Crab, Thai Crab
- Sesarma bidens
- Males are more brightly coloured than females. Visible from the inferior surface, females have a wide abdomen, nearly the width of the abdomen, in which she carries her eggs, when gravid, whereas males have a very narrow abdomen.
- Really best kept in species tanks and can live with other crabs but may fight with other crabs if not enough space to set up territories, but if kept with fish they must not be kept with long-finned fish, bottom dwellers or small fish species. Top dwelling and fast-swimming fish that prefer brackish conditions only.
- An omnivorous crab which will take most foods including blanched vegetables, flakes and pellets, brine shrimp, bloodworm and fish.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- Must have access to an area above the water line, and prefers brackish conditions, an SG of 1.005 is sufficient. A secure fitting lid is essential as these are excellent escape artists. Red crabs are particularly sensitive to copper, which is an ingredient in many fish-disease treatments and snail-eradication chemicals, avoid at all costs.
- Red Claw Crabs are very good escape artists, and will take advantage of any opportunity to escape from the aquarium they are kept in. They can easily climb up airline tubing and filter tubes, so a tight fitting lid is essential. They can be kept with fish, but it is not a good idea to do this. They will catch and eat small fish if given the opportunity. Avoid keeping them with bottom dwellers or long finned fish at all costs.
- In a planted tank they will snip pieces off the plants and eat them. Adding a weighted piece of lettuce will allow them to drag it off and graze in private.
- Flattened deep red/brown shell with protruding eye stalks and 2 equal-sized orange to bright red claws.