Spike Tail Trumpet Snail (Melanoides granifera)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Spike Tail Trumpet Snail)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Spike Tail Trumpet Snail
19 Litres (5 US G.)
1.3-2.5cm (0.5-1 ")
7.2 - 8.5
18 -26 °C (64.4-78.8°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Spike Tail Trumpet Snail
- All individuals are hermaphroditic and livebearers, a single snail can turn into many.
- A peaceful snail, will not bother tank inhabitants. However, should not be kept with aggressive fish that may attack it such as Loaches or Pufferfish.
- A scavenging snail, will constantly hunt for food and can be supplemented with blanched vegetables and algae wafers.
- Most active at dusk, or just after lights out.
- Likes to burrow so a sand substrate is preferred. Generally doesn't eat aquarium plants.
- Different from the more common Melanoides tuberculata in that it's shell is shorter and stockier, usually coloured a rich red-brown.