Spanner Barb (Puntius lateristriga)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from T-Barb)
208 Litres (55 US G.)
15.2-17.8cm (6-7 ")
6.0 - 6.5
25 -28 °C (77-82.4°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
- Spanner Barb, T-Barb
Additional scientific names
- Barbus lateristriga, Barbodes lateristriga, Systomus lateristriga
Origin[edit | edit source]
- This fish comes from the Malay Peninsular and Borneo.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Females will be more rounded in the belly.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- These are very active shoaling fish that should be in groups of at least 6 of their own kind. Should only be kept with similar sized robust fish, nothing shy or long-finned, such as larger Danios and Barbs. They are bigger than many of the barbs commonly kept in aquariums, but not as aggressive as the Tiger Barb.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Requires a spacious and long tank, for a group of adults a very large tank over 208 Litres (55 US G.) is required due to these fish's very high activity levels. In the wild, the Spanner Barb comes from very well oxygenated acidic water (pH between 6.0 and 6.5) with not much hardness. However, they are fairly adaptable and will tolerate pH up to 7.2, and moderate hardness. They will do alright in an aquarium with neutral pH, a temperature of between 23 and 29 degrees C (73 and 84 degrees F), and reasonable hardness. Make sure the aquarium is well oxygenated.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- An extremely active mid-dwelling shoaling fish.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )