Fly-Speckled Hardyhead (Craterocephalus stercusmuscarum)
From The Aquarium Wiki
(Redirected from Unspecked Hardyhead)
132 Litres (35 US G.)
7.6-10.2cm (3-4 ")
6.0 - 6.5
20 -25 °C (68-77°F)
- Fly-Speckled Hardyhead, Tawny Hardyhead, Unspecked Hardyhead
Additional scientific names
- Craterocephalus stercusmuscarum fulvus
Origin[edit | edit source]
- Oceania: Australia, in the Murray-Darling drainage system and southeastern rivers as far north as the Mary River, Queensland.
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- Females will display a rounder fuller belly when they have eggs. Males have more yellow colouration than females.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A timid fish that requires company of its own kind, keep in groups of 6 or more. Ideally kept in a species tank but may work with other peaceful Australian natives such as Rainbowfish.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Should accept most foods and is best fed a high quality pellets along with live/frozen food such as brine shrimp and bloodworm.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- Requires a long tank as this fish is an active swimmer. A secure lid is a must as they are known to jump and the tank should be located in a quiet spot, a lot of activity outside the tank could spook them.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- A shy nervous fish that can panic if startled.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A very slender elongate fish, predominantly silver-brown body with a bold white lateral line from the nose to the base of caudal which is traced below by a black lateral line.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )