Vibriosis disease is an illness caused by the gram-negative bacteria Vibrio anguillarum (Vibrio anguillarium). It is believed it enters the animal via their food and attacks the gastrointestinal tract.
Ulcers - Clinical signs of vibriosis are lethargy, loss of appetite with red spots on the ventral and lateral areas of the fish with swollen and dark skin lesions that ulcerate, releasing bloody pus. (Starting as reddening or blood streaks under the skin surface).
There may also be eye problems with cloudy eye, leading to pop-eye and eye loss. However the course of the infection is rapid, and most of the infected fish die without showing any further clinical signs than the ulcers. This bacteria often infects several fish in the aquarium and multiple lose is common unless treatment is rapid.
- Perform a 50% water change asap.
There are a range of products that are available.
- Antibiotics like Oxytetracycline or Erythromycin which kill gram-negative bacteria (note antibiotics are only available via a Vet in Europe).
- Nifurpirinol - Aquarium Muenster aquafuran and JBL Furanol.
- Interpet no.9 - Anti Internal Bacteria Treatment.
- Waterlife - Myxazin - broad spectrum bactericide
- The addition of salt to the water will not limit this species of bacteria as it can survive in salt water.
- A treatment of potassium permanganate will reduce the level of organic material suspended in the water and will help to reduce levels of this bacteria.
- Fin Rot & Fungus Control (contains 2-Phenoxyethanol 5.66 %w/w) 
- Disease Clear (contains Protargol 0.151%w/w (Silver proteinate) )
- Bacteria Control (contains Formaldehyde (35.6 % solution) 10.92 % w/w, Sodium Chloride 0.60 %w/w, Magnesium Sulphate 0.30 %w/w % Allantoin 0.04 %w/w) 
- No.8 - Anti Fungus and Fin Rot
- No.10 - Methylene Blue
- Myxazin - broad spectrum bactericide (contains Formaldehyde 0.12%w/w, Malachite Green 0.085% w/w, Acriflavine Hydrochloride 0.055% w/w) 
- E.M. Erythromycin™ Powder - Broad spectrum Antibiotic. (contains Sodium chloride >80%, erythromycin phosphate 1-10%, Amorphous silica 1-5%. See MSDS)
- Furan-2™ Powder - Kills gram-positive & gram-negative bacteria (contains Sodium chloride >90%, Nitrofurazone 1-5%, silica amorphous 1-5%, furazolidone < 1%. See MSDS)
- Melafix® (contains Melaleuca, as Cajuput oil 1%. See MSDS)
- PimaFix™ Anti Fungal & Bacterial (contains bay oil 1%. See MSDS)
- T.C. Tetracycline™ Powder - Kills gram-negative bacteria (contains Sodium chloride >60%, tetracycline hydrochloride 10-30%, amorphous silica 1-5%. See MSDS)
- Triple Sulfa™ Powder three sulfa antibacterial medications (contains Sodium chloride >60%, sulfathiazole 10-30%, sulfamethazine 1-10%, sulfacetamide sodium 1-10%, amorphous silica 1-5%. See MSDS)
- TetraMedica GeneralTonic Kills bacteria, fungus and parasites.
- Lifeguard™ All-in-One - Kills bacteria, fungus and parasites.
Jungle Labs (USA)
- Lifeguard - All-in-One - Kills bacteria, fungus and parasites (contains HaloShield (1-chloro-2,2,5,5-tetramethyl-4-imidazolidinone))
- Anti-Bacteria Medicated Fish Food - for bacterial Infections (Mouth rot)
- Binox (Crystal) Broad range anti-bacterial and Fungus treatment contains Nitrofurazone <9%. See MSDS)
- TRICIDE-Neo™ - Antibacterial Dip - a concentrate of NeoMycin antibiotic 
- Veterinary Medicines Marketed under the Small Animal Exemption Scheme, VMD
- Chemical information on the product
- Tricide Neo tris-EDTA Solution Against Bacterial Infections
- Do not over feed your animals. The bacteria eats uneaten food and the animal digests this.
- Regular water changes.
- Regular substrate maintenance.
- Feed a range of good quality food so your animal has a healthy immune system to fight off infection.
- Using a regular waste control bacteria media to reduce uneaten organic material on the substrate. See Competitive Exclusion.
- Consider setting up a soil based substrate to limit the bacteria numbers. See Walstad tank.