Green Riffle Goby (Stiphodon elegans)
From The Aquarium Wiki
57 Litres (15 US G.)
2.5-5.1cm (1-2 ")
6 - 8
24 -28 °C (75.2-82.4°F)
You can contribute to the Aquarium Wiki by expanding this article. Dont be shy!.
Additional scientific names
- Sicydium elegans, Vailima stevensoni, Stiphodon stevensoni
- Males are much more brightly coloured than females. Females are a light brown gold colour with gold cheeks. Non-breeding males have a grey/blue hue. In breeding condition males take on more neon colours.
- Keep with other non-aggressive fish of similar size.
- These Gobies are aufwuchs and algae grazers, they need to be in a mature tank with a lot of algae growth. They will, however, only eat certain types of algae, mostly short tufty types of algae, not stringy or filamentous algae. They should also accept algae wafers and dried marine seaweed. They may also accept some soft blanched veges like peas. They should not be fed meaty foods as their digestive system is not designed for high protein.
- Supplement once or twice a day depending on algae growth present.
- They inhabit relatively swift, clear rainforest streams close to the sea. The streams have a rocky and sandy substrate. Each Goby ideally needs at least a 15cm (5.9") x 15cm (5.9") area of territory. As they are a burrowing species the substrate should be sand and pebbles or small pieces of slate should be scattered on the surface within each territory so that burrows can be made underneath them.
- Although they are peaceful they can be territorial with each other.
- An elongate fish with a blunt snout. It has a tall pointed first dorsal and more rounded second dorsal fin. The body towards the back is mottled brown, while the head varies in colour between sexes, see sexing above.
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )