Russian Bitterling (Acanthorhodeus asmussi)
114 Litres (30 US G.)
12.7-15.2cm (5-6 ")
7.0 - 7.5
18 -22 °C (64.4-71.6°F)
This animal is available captive bred
- Spiny Bitterling
Additional scientific names
- Acanthorhodeus asmussii, Acanthorhodeus asmussii amurensis, Acanthorhodeus taenianalis, Acheilognathus asmussii, Acheilognathus assmussii, Devario asmussii
Sexing[edit | edit source]
- It is difficult to visually sex this fish. Mature females may appear more full in the belly than males.
Tank compatibility[edit | edit source]
- A temperate fish that is not often found in the pet trade. Is best kept with similar-sized fish with similar temperaments, or in a species tank. Usually only found in public aquariums.
Diet[edit | edit source]
- Should accept most foods including brine shrimp.
Feeding regime[edit | edit source]
- Feed once or twice a day.
Environment specifics[edit | edit source]
- This fish is best kept in large tanks which are well filtered and oxygenated. They will not do well in very warm temperatures.
Behaviour[edit | edit source]
- Active mid-swimming fish.
Identification[edit | edit source]
- A slender fish with a slightly humped spine. The fins are clear in colour with a sharply forked caudal fin, while the flanks are iridescent silver.
Pictures[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )