Warmouth (Lepomis gulosus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
284 Litres (75 US G.)
30-31 cm (11.8-12.2")
7.0 - 7.5
10 -20 °C (50-68°F)
- Warmouth, Warmouth Perch
Additional scientific names
- Pomotis gulosus, Chaenobryttus gulosus
- North American rivers, ponds and lakeshores with good ambush points for these active and predatory fish.
- Males are more colourful, females plumper when in breeding condition with eggs.
- This fish is considerably docile for it's size. It has been kept with smaller sunfish and cichlids whom require similar water parameters. The Warmouth gets large (around 10 inches, sometimes more) so they are best kept in tanks of 55 gallons or more. Another consideration when choosing a tank for this fish is that the Warmouth is a predatory fish and as a result has nutrient rich waste. This can lead to very dirty water if water changes are not performed on a regular basis and inadequate filtering is utilized.
- Warmouth love live food and can occasionally swallow 2 at a time because of their large mouths. Frozen foods are usually accepted eagerly. Bloodworms and shrimp work well, but not brine shrimp as they are too small. The Warmouth is entirely predatory so most small aquatic animals or insects will be good food.
- Being a predator, the wild Warmouth doesn't always catch it's prey. As such, it's best to let the fish have a day without food once in a while. This practice also keeps water pollution levels lower.
- It's best to provide the Warmouth with places to hide in rocks and plants. False plants work fine if live plants are too difficult to keep.
- Water parameters are not crucial. This fish has been kept in hard water and pH up to 8.3 in the writer's home.
- Warmouth will tend to hide when they have nothing interesting to do, but they will come out of hiding to greet whoever feeds them. After being roused, they can be found swimming at any level in the aquarium, taking in the scenery.
- Red eyes, greenish base colour, males very splendid in mating season. Large mouth.
- Warmouth Sunfish (Lepomis gulosus) (2497915731).jpg
- Warmouth Sunfish (Lepomis gulosus) (2498741150).jpg
- Warmouth Sunfish (Lepomis gulosus) (12456364).jpg
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )