Chinese Sucker (Myxocyprinus asiaticus)
From The Aquarium Wiki
568 Litres (150 US G.)
88.9-101.6cm (35-40 ")
6.0 - 7.5
18 -23 °C (64.4-73.4°F)
- Chinese Sucker, Hi-Fin Banded Shark, Freshwater Bat Fish, Chinese Hi-Fin Banded Shark, Chinese High Fin Sucker, Sailfin Sucker, Topsail Sucker, Asian Sucker, Wimple Carp, Freshwater Batfish, Hilsa Herring, Rough Fish, Entsuyui
Additional scientific names
- Mycocyprinus asiaticus, Carpiodes asiaticus, Myxocyprinus asiaticus asiaticus
- Asia: China (Yangtze River basin).
- Difficult to sex and not known to spawn in captivity due to them rarely reaching maturity.
- A shoaling fish that really appreciates company of its own kind. Should only be kept with other temperate peaceful species or in a species tank.
- Omnivorous, but primarily vegetarian. Feed with algae wafers, sinking pellets and blanched vegetables.
- Feed once or twice a day.
- A temperate fish rather than tropical, this fish requires very large housing due to it's final adult size, combined with a good current and well oxygenated water.
- A peaceful bottom-dwelling fish.
- A highly attractive fish when young, with a very tall dorsal fin, pinkish-white base colour with thick vertical black banding and black spotting. The shape of this fish changes and the patternation becomes more dull as the fish matures, an adult fish will be long and rounded with a short dorsal fin and be black-brown in colour.
- In the UK it is illegal to keep this fish without the appropriate licence. They are illegal to import and are listed under the Prohibition of Keeping or Release of Live Fish (Specified Species) Order 1998.
- Wimpelkarpfen I.jpg
- Aquarium fish hd.jpg
- Fishbase (Mirrors: )